Just got back from seeing Midnight In Paris. It's a delightful love letter/post card/whatever to 1920s Paris and the whole movie was a lot of fun, especially for we Papa and Francophiles. I wish more women looked like Marion Cotillard and Léa Seydoux...they're just so gorgeous...and more importantly: French! I'm also thinking of changing my name to Yves...okay, scratch that last bit...

Did I mention that wished I knew women who looked like Marion Cotillard and Léa Seydoux (and Carla Bruni)?

Seriously, it's a fun movie and all my years of Hemingway and 1920s worship "paid off", what with the knowing nods and jokes about Hem and Fitz and the rest. Hemingway was definitely the comedic-but-revered figure here; I never knew that Woody liked him.

I think that uploading a trailer for Midnight In Paris would fit in nicely with our pro-Papa envirnoment.

Views: 200

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I loved the movie, too, It was a genuine thrill for me to "see" my favorite writers and artists in action. I'm going to take my husband so I can see it again.

New article on Corey "Hemingway" Stoll from Reuters, in case anyone missed the headline at the side of the page.

The actor looks quite un-Papa like without his Hem Hair!

That was a good interview. I would never recognize thim if I ran into him on the street.

Pjk

Yesterday, I saw Midnight In Paris for the third(!) time--at the dollar theater--and loved a quote I hadn't noticed before:

"You can fool me, but you can't fool Ernest Hemingway."

~Gil Pender (Owen Wilson) to Inez (Rachel McAdams).

Indeed.

Midnight in Paris is set for a DVD and BLU-RAY release on Tuesday December 20, 2011. Amazon already has it up for pre-order.

I just watched it On Demand. I laughed out loud when the Hemingway character was in the taxi with Wilson. Cory Stoll was perfect as was Kathy Bates. And I have to agree with Steve, Cotillard & Seydoux are quite beautiful. A fun, fun film.

They are going to show this one night at the next Hemingway Conference in Michigan. I invited Woody to show up (via his Facebook page)

Adrian Brody was a hoot as Dali.

Pjk

The Academy Award nominations will be announced today.  I hope, but doubt, that Corey Stoll will be nominated for Best Supporting Actor.

I did it on-demand as well and while I enjoyed it I thought the ending was a little weak...and it definitely could have used more Hemingway.  The Fitzgeralds were great.  I think Corey Stoll did a nice job, but I don't think the role was big enough to get any Oscar attention.  We'll see.

Just saw the Oscar lists and the movie got nominated for Best Picture and Woody for Best Screenplay and for Directing, and it got a nod for Art Direction.  No actors made the cut.

eHemingway.com said:

I did it on-demand as well and while I enjoyed it I thought the ending was a little weak...and it definitely could have used more Hemingway.  The Fitzgeralds were great.  I think Corey Stoll did a nice job, but I don't think the role was big enough to get any Oscar attention.  We'll see.

This was still news enough to pull me out of a "Black Ass" mood!

BTW, Beatrice Straight won the 1976 Best Supporting Actress Oscar for NETWORK, and IIRC her five minutes of screen time was apparently enough.  Too bad Stoll got snubbed, though.

Saw the film on cable and loved it but I thought Hemingway was a bit of a caricature. I really never pictured him talking like the characters in his books. I think Woody did a lot of tongue-in-cheek in this movie.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by eHemingway.com.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service