Time to dust off In Our Time and reacquaint yourselves with The Battler.  Steve has suggested a discussion of a story or novel, so we've decided to start with this classic.  Try to read it this weekend and we'll dive in next week with thoughts, questions, etc.

Views: 717

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

YES!!! SO SORRY, It is Paul Newman, don't know what I was thinking. I really do not know when it was made, but was very surprised as I had never seen it before either... I enjoyed watching it. I looked on the dvd for a copywrite date, and don't find one...
docnme
A Hemingway movie that really needs a DVD release is 1947's THE MACOMBER AFFAIR! Gregory Peck, Robert Preston, and Joan Bennett in a film that's considered the most "literate" adaptation of a Papa story.
Steve, is there a link for a movie trailer for this one too? I really enjoyed the other one!
Hemingway's Adventures of an old man came out in 62 if I'm correct. Newman was good as "The Battler" and for the time his make up was great. The scene where he wants Nick's knife is a good one. Steve I agree about The Macomber Affair. Joan Bennet was good and Peck was - he was Peck.
Larry, You are correct, I checked it out today and" ADVENTURES of A yOUNG MAN" came out in1962, just a year after his death. I liked the whole movie, but read a lot in the attitude of his father, and mother. I believe that his parents relationship deepley affected E.H.'s life, and how he treated the women in his life. When you compare that story with most of the biographies, you can read alot between the lines. I think it also contributed to his recklesness. Almost like when he was very young, he always knew how it would someday end.
docnme
Here's a clip of part of the movie:

http://ehemingway.ning.com/video/the-macomber-affair

Gary Wyatt said:
Steve, is there a link for a movie trailer for this one too? I really enjoyed the other one!
Thanks for the link, Steve. The movie looks great. Btw, I really like Gregory Peck. Thanks again!
Are we all ready for another story? I'm currently in a middle of nowhere town and this site is pretty much all my computer allows me to view for more than 3 minutes. I vote Ten Indians. People?
I'm up for it. I'll get started this weekend--in between Shang Chi: Master of Kung Fu comics...

Larry said:
Are we all ready for another story? I'm currently in a middle of nowhere town and this site is pretty much all my computer allows me to view for more than 3 minutes. I vote Ten Indians. People?
I just set up a new discussion thread for Ten Indians...now to start reading.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by eHemingway.com.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service