With the frightening lack of activity around here over the past several months--people don't even respond to the topics they start--perhaps we can discuss a Hemingway biography or otherwise a reading club where we can take on one of Hem's short stories--God forbid a novel, given the gravelike silence here, and start from there? 

Or is all the "action" taking place at Lost Generation?

Views: 33

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm up for something like that Steve. I think it might be best to start with a short story instead of biting off a novel that we might not be able to chew.

Any ideas on which story to read/discuss?
I just randomly opened up a page of The Nick Adams Stories and it was "The Battler."

Now that we two know of this topic, let's say we read that story anew and start a separate topic in one of the forums? I'm game.
I recently joined this Papa place and shocked to see no one posting.I can understand people get busy and its summer but would love to see comments about Hemingway and his works!
It was always dead at the old site during the summer months. Wait until fall when life slows down and all the college kids want us to do their research for them.
True, but that type of activity isn't the "meat" of Hemingway discussion, at least not for me. The participation of we "regulars" is what keeps the Papa talk at a more interesting level.

BTW, I've never read The Garden of Eden--perhaps I'll treat myself to that book on my birthday and *crosses fingers* we can even discuss the book here. ;)

Mike Galvin said:
It was always dead at the old site during the summer months. Wait until fall when life slows down and all the college kids want us to do their research for them.
It would be good if the Hemingway Listserv crew would join up and move their discussions here to a more public forum. The listserv is nice, but a forum like this is a lot easier to work with and it would attract a lot more input from new users in my opinion.

Steve said:
True, but that type of activity isn't the "meat" of Hemingway discussion, at least not for me. The participation of we "regulars" is what keeps the Papa talk at a more interesting level.

BTW, I've never read The Garden of Eden--perhaps I'll treat myself to that book on my birthday and *crosses fingers* we can even discuss the book here. ;)

Mike Galvin said:
I think picking a book to read and then having us give our thoughts would be a very gratifying way to review Papa's work.....
Have a look at the old site lostgeneration.com and see what used to transpire over there. Perhaps get some ideas from delving into the past board (which is actually still active although not very active).
With Papa's 1926-1929 letters published, perhaps there would be some new activity here?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by eHemingway.com.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service